Welcome to the medicines optimisation team
The aim of the Medicines Optimisation Team (MOT) is to enable patients and healthcare professionals to get the best from their medicines. We do this primarily by working collaboratively and holistically with healthcare professionals in both primary (including CCG) and secondary care, to support and facilitate prescribing interventions with a view to optimising the care of and use of medicines in individual patients.
This includes provision of:
- Medicines optimisation incentive schemes – highlight and incentivise general medical practices to implement changes to the quality and cost-effectiveness of their prescribing.
- Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians – are based in GP practices and can support practices to undertake audits of prescribing
- Comparative prescribing data and benchmarking – to support discussion and change through peer support and peer pressure
- Educational events, for example, through existing GP medicines optimisation groups (organised by geographical locality) and Time for Audit, Research, Governance, Education and Training (TARGET) events
- Medication helpline – to answer queries about medication-related issues.
- Clinical decision support tools within GP clinical systems
- Specialist Formulary and Interface Pharmacist – responsible for maintaining the CCG formulary and liaising with secondary care on matters that impact both primary and secondary care.
- Specialist Commissioning Pharmacist - responsible for high cost drugs that are not included in the tariff and working closely with secondary care clinicians, to implement NICE technology appraisals for these medicines and developing associated pathways
As well as having an important part to play in influencing clinicians, some members of the team also have a patient-facing role working in GP practices, providing clinical medication reviews and medicines reconciliation services directly to patients.
The MOT links up with the CCG localities through its two Senior Pharmacists covering Winchester and Andover/ West New Forest and Eastleigh Southern Parishes/ Eastleigh North and Test Valley South/ Totton and Waterside areas respectively.